In this 115-page book, Julia Toft gives straightforward answers to the most fundamental questions asked by anyone who has ever considered keeping a hive –what sort of hive, where to get bees, how to check a colony, how to spin honey…. and more.
Julia draws on her experience with the Cairns and District Beekeepers Association Inc, with the many other beekeepers in the Cairns and Tablelands areas, and with some beekeepers in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. More recently she has started a local business, Healthy Hives, which aims at helping people set up and manage their own backyard hives.
Chapters are arranged around questions asked by everyone who ever considers getting bees:
Is this the book for me?
1. Is it easy to keep bees? How did you get into bees?
2. Why should I keep bees?
3. What if I’m scared? Or allergic?
4. Where should I keep them? Is my garden ok?
5. What sort of hive should I get?
6. What equipment will I need?
7. How do I get the bees?
8. How do I check my bees?
9. How do I control swarming?
10. How do I get the honey into a jar?
11. Other questions you may have
Appendix – Hive Inspection Checklist
Of course, the chapters have sexier names than this but these are the questions most commonly asked.
Use the Paypal button to buy a copy of ABC of Beekeeping.
Postage is $5 within Australia.
If you require more than one copy, or need postage overseas, please contact me via the contact form.
ABC of Beekeeping book, 115 pages